Monday, January 28, 2008

Do People Actually Think Like This?

From an AP report on a protest by families and victims of the VA Tech gunman;

Va. Tech Families Protest State Gun Law

Published: 1/21/08, 10:25 PM EDT
By KRISTEN GELINEAU

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) - Survivors and families of the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings faced off Monday against gun-rights advocates over a bill that would prevent criminals and the mentally ill from buying firearms at gun shows.

About 100 supporters of the measure lay on the Capitol lawn to honor the victims of gun violence, as about 200 opponents stood nearby, holding signs that read, "Here Lie Disarmed Victims."

At one point, Jeff Knox, director of operations of the Manassas-based Firearms Coalition, approached survivor Colin Goddard and said students could have stopped student Seung-Hui Cho's rampage if they had been allowed to carry guns on campus.

"I would have stopped him," Knox said. "Because when I went to school, I carried a gun. It was legal; I did it."

Goddard, a Virginia Tech senior who was shot four times in the April 16 massacre, was taken aback, then said: "I feel sorry for you - the fact that you feel you need to protect yourself in every situation.

"You're afraid of crazy situations happening. I've lived through this and I know that I can't continue in my life afraid of things," he said, adding that he put his "full trust" in the police to protect society.

The bolding is mine.

When I read this I was speechless. I just don't understand this mentality.

Good for the VCDL - they got it just right! "Here lie unarmed victims"

No comments: