Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Button Bucks and Feeling like a Schmuck

The Michgan DNR puts out it's annual Hunting and Trapping guide, and it talks about deer identification. It essentially says that while it is perfectly legal to take a "button buck", you should avoid it so they can grow up and produce more deer. They also give tips on how to know the difference between a button buck and a doe. It has something to do with the buck having a shorter face than the doe.

As you can probably guess, I took a button buck this year, and I am feeling like a schmuck about it. My father-in-law and the next-door neighbor (both experienced hunters) are telling me that there was no way to tell, but it isn't helping me much. I feel like I have violated some unwritten rule and will be looked down upon by other hunters ("That's the guy that shot a button buck last year. Yeah, what a schmuck!") Somehow I now have the Scarlet "BB" branded on my camo.

Having pretty much only seen does in the eight years I have been hunting deer, I guess I didn't have anything to compare deer face lengths to. At least, not until now.

Oh well, it's still venison in the freezer. That's a good thing.

For those interested in this sort of thing: 295gr Powerbelt hollow point over 105gr Triple-7. 30 to 40 yards, double-lung, through and through. Scoped T/C Encore. Dropped where he stood.

One interesting technical note - I used a monopod shooting stick for the first time on this shot and found that I didn't like it too much. The adrenaline was pumping so hard that I was shaking like a leaf and was having a hard time keeping the crosshairs on target even with the stick. I think my lightened trigger helped me here as I didn't need much force to touch it off, so when the crosshairs were in the right spot I just gave a little twitch on the trigger and it went off.

I am certainly preferring a well-braced sitting or rested shot rather than the monopod. Maybe I should try a bipod shooting stick and see if those are any better.

3 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Oh, man...a Button Buck? Who actually goes out and shoots those? I mean, other than people who can't bag a grown-up deer?




Just kidding. A deer's a deer. Good job, enjoy the meat, and save lagniappe and I some jerky!

needing help said...

Good job getting your deer. I have been hunting for years now and haven't gotten one yet. I hunting a piece of property that holds about 50 deer on It. I can get the shot just that at the last moment I mess it up by jerking to one side. There is about 50/50 of doe and Buck there. I have my stand 50 yards for bedding area 25 yards from a feeding area, pond, and simi open woods. Do you have any advice to help me out?

Scott said...

Wow - someone was reading my 2-1/2 year old post! Thank you!

I don't know you or what your skills are, but I actually do have some advice: get yourself a .22 and practice marksmanship fundamentals. If you get your long gun once a year before hunting season and shoot a couple rounds off to check your scope, you will have a hard time getting good humane hits. A .22 will let you practice a lot for not a lot of money, and the skills transfer over to your hunting gun - it all boils down to sight picture, breath control, squeeze (not jerk), and follow-through.

A great place to get these marksmanship skills is at an Appleseed shoot. You will spend the weekend learning how to shoot from all positions, and you will also learn a little (non-revisionist) history.

If there isn't an Appleseed within driving distance, the NRA should have something for you, or perhaps a local club has some instruction available.