Sunday, June 22, 2014

This Post is for you, Murphy's Law

We were picking up and dropping off kids at camps today, and we visited the USS Silversides museum in Muskegon, MI. I'm also posting the pictures from my iPod Touch, to show it can be done from an Apple device. 

Sorry, no inside pictures. I was busy explaining how the different parts of a submarine work to my wife and daughter. They were amazed at the size of the heads, and how cramped everything was. And laughing at 6'3" me getting through the hatches between compartments. 

Conning tower. 

From the bow, facing aft. 


From the stern, facing forward.  Notice the fog coming in off of Lake Michigan at about 1:30pm. It was probably 78 degrees and sunny, but the wind was out of the northwest and coming in off the lake. Kind of cool to watch, it didn't make it very far onshore. 

3 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Aw, man. I love Silversides! Probably my favorite fleet boat besides USS Cod in Cleveland. If I'd known that you were going, I'd have told you where the switched for the collision and dive alarms are in the control room. (The tour guys hate it when you pull them so you got to be sneaky about it, then play dumb.)

I keep trying to get Aaron over there but so far no joy.

Scott said...

I've been looking forward to your pictures from USS Midway. We were out there in 2008 visiting family and we went on board - it was great fun, and crawling around on those aircraft on the flight deck and the hanger deck was a highlight of the trip for me. That and getting a picture of my sister-in-law in the brig!

Murphy's Law said...

LOL. Midway pics are coming. Give me a few days.