Monday, February 02, 2015

Late word today - Former Tigers 1B Dave Bergman dead at age 61

One of my favorite players on the 84 World Champs, first baseman Dave Bergman died today after a long battle with cancer.

I still remember the game at Tiger Stadium that year against Toronto (who also had a really great team) when Bergman came up with 2 on in the 10th inning and commenced an epic battle with Toronto reliever Roy Lee Jackson.  Bergman fouled off pitch after pitch until finally, on a 3-2 pitch, he golfed one into the right-field seats to win the game for the Tigers.  Here is that memorable at-bat:

I was managing the women's softball team at my Church that year, and a couple of my friends and I went to Houlihans at the Lansing Mall after our game to have a little dinner and watch the Tigers game.  I still remember that at-bat after all these years.  The whole place erupted when that ball went out.

Bergman wasn't the big star of the team, and he didn't have big stats, but he knew his role on the team and played it very well.  Rest in peace, Dave.  You gave us some great memories.

No comments: