Thursday, February 02, 2017

On a cold day in February, it's important to remember...

Pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland, FL on Feb. 14th!  Tigers Baseball begins anew!

Today it was 21 degrees here in my little corner of Michigan, with 25 MPH wind gusts.  I need facts like that to get me through this month, especially since my job keeps me outside all day.

Thinking of the greenest grass you ever saw, and the smell of popcorn and hot dogs and beer.  Of clean white home uniforms and the duller grey or blue of the away togs in the bright afternoon sun.  Brown or red dirt on the infield, white chalk foul lines and yellow foul poles presiding over the limits of the field, and the smack of baseballs leaping off of bats and settling into gloves.  It's all closer than you think, and the thought of it gets you through when the cold wind wants to strip the skin off your face.  Baseball's coming.  The trucks are already hauling the gear south.  In two weeks it will have already started.  You can get through two weeks, right?

I can't wait.

No comments: