Saturday, July 13, 2019

Becoming an Empty Nester

It is currently six days until my oldest daughter gets married.  This day has been coming for two years, but the reality of it hits me more and more each day.  It is a very strange mix of emotions occurring as the day draws near and the milestones are reached. 

Two days ago I walked into her room to drop off her mail, and it looked barren.  All her artwork was off her walls, most of her "stuff" was gone too.  Now, she has been slowly packing and moving stuff ever since her fiance moved to Jackson a few months ago, where they are going to live after they get married, but it was a stark contrast to what it has been, that the reality of it just smacked me: She's only here for a few more days. 

I know this isn't a unique place to be - it has been happening to parents for several millennia!  Still, it is one of those life milestones that remind me that a large part of my life is over.

Don't get me wrong, that isn't a morbid thought thought in my mind - there are still things for me to accomplish in this life, and I'm not looking to just lie down and rot away!  But there are fewer days to do those things than there used to be.

So, this week, I'm going be happy for her and her future, even though it takes her out of my house and fully into the wide, wide world.  And I'm going to miss her terribly when she and her new husband drive away together on Friday.


No comments: