Monday, December 11, 2006

Deer Season 2006

Well I guess I have recovered from the 2-week firearm deer season here in Michigan. This year, as for the last 2 or 3 years, the weather decided to be in the 30's at night and 50's during the day, which slowed all the deer down and made them all layabouts!

I stopped going out in the mornings since the deer seem to not move around in the morning on the land that I hunt. In the 7 years I have hunted there I have only seen 2 deer in the morning, both at the same time going to a bait pile. So it just isn't worth it to get up at oh-dark-thirty when I won't see anything anyway!

Maybe one of these years I'll swipe my father-in-law's .480 Ruger revolver and go lookin' for them instead of waiting for them to come to me.

Nevertheless, it is worth it for me to go out every year, if for no other reason than to escape Sodom on the Red Cedar for a time and remember that there is another world outside my basement office. When I go back, I can feel the life being sucked out of me.

Yes I did get one, a little one that I would have passed up if there had been even one more in the field. But the wife wanted venison in the freezer. And who am I to argue.

No comments: